Be Bold and Begin!
Dec 30, 2019
At this time of year, I am full of hope.
While I normally live in an almost perpetual state of excitement about the road ahead, when we come upon a transition like a new year, it heightens my natural tendency to want to “seize the day!”
I tend to get up each day and want to be part of something new and better. This is one of the primary reasons that I love my work... Because day in and day out, I get to help people create the relationships and workplaces that they WANT, rather than just settling for what they HAVE.
Think about your relationships at work…
- Is your workplace that is fulfilling and creative? Or is it tainted with struggle, frustration, and challenge?
- Do you feel that your relationships at work - with your boss, co-workers, and direct reports - are affirming and connected? Or strained?
- Are you giving all you've got with joy? Or are you showing up at less than your full potential because you feel under-appreciated or because your talents are under-utilized?
Difficult communication patterns emerge because on some level we lose touch with our sense of personal power. When faced with an ongoing struggle, we lose energy and start to defend and blame rather than connect and collaborate.
But the good news is that it’s a new year, and a great time for a fresh start.
- You CAN have the relationships and the workplace that you want!
- You CAN feel joyful each and every day- even at work!
- You CAN put your full talents to work in the service of something amazing!
- You CAN have your voice heard and be a part of the solution!
- If you are less than joyful about your year ahead (at work or in any relationship), write down what you do NOT want in the new year.
- Then write down all the things you DO want. (Start here if the year ahead already looks amazing!) Go for it!
- Write down the kinds of relationships you want, the kinds of interactions that you want, and the kinds of feelings you want to experience on a regular basis, and the kind of results you want in your life.
- Now, reverse engineer.
- What will it take for you to have those things?
- Who will YOU have to BE for all of that good stuff to come true?
Use your reflection from the questions above as a road map to success! Together, we can improve workplaces around the world!
Be bold, and begin it!